Welcome!

I review all genres and I post them in 30 spots. Check out previous posts and I'm sure you'll find several books to catch your interest. I am a published reviewer and an award winning one. I am one of the best reviewers around. CELEBRATING 14 YEARS OF BOOK REVIEWS!!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Up From Down and Out by J. B. DiNizo

     Mary Beth Morrissey's life has been anything but easy. Growing up with a Mother who thought only of her own needs, was difficult at best.  Each one of her siblings was able to leave the family home and begin their life without issues from their mother.   Then a marriage to a man she loved but who was using her.  It never got better only worse.  Years would pass before she finally had a happy life. 

     The story for this book is solid. It's a wonderful tale of grabbing hold of your bootstraps and pulling yourself up to move on.  It has the potential to be a fantastic book.  Relate-able characters make it a good story.

     I did find issues.  I'm not a fan of titled chapters. Tells the reader what they should be seeing in the chapter. Doesn't allow them to interpret for themselves.  The book is repetitious and reads awkwardly in spots.  The author gets ahead of herself and gives away story details before she should. The timeline is confusing at best.  Chapter 13 should have been left out. The epilogue was not necessary, if included should have been shorter. 

     I gave this one 3 cheers out of 5 because one character graduated from Michigan State University.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment