Welcome!

I review all genres and I post them in 30 spots. Check out previous posts and I'm sure you'll find several books to catch your interest. I am a published reviewer and an award winning one. I am one of the best reviewers around. CELEBRATING 14 YEARS OF BOOK REVIEWS!!

Friday, September 25, 2020

America's First Freedom Rider: Elizabeth Jennings, Chester A. Arthur, and the Early Fight for Civil Rights by Jerry Mikorenda

 

     July 16, 1854 was an eventful day for Elizabeth Jennings. Traveling anywhere and in anyway was dangerous in New York City. Elizabeth Jennings got on a horse car and the conductor was less than happy. He told her to wait for the next car because "her" people would be on it. She refused. The conductor then attacked Elizabeth. She and her attorney, Chester A. Arthur sued the company and won.  She wasn't the only one to achieve greatness, her father and her attorney also made great strides for the African-American people. Get the book and learn more.

     This book is factual, surprising and an accurate  snapshot of the past. It's well written and the characters shared in an honest and forthright way. This should be required reading for high school students today.  I found this book eye opening and a shock. You must read this book.

    I found one issues. The books title is misleading. It should be Civil Rights in 19th century New York City.

     I gave this one 5 cheers out of 5 because it was very informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment